STEM Lab Variator Mechanical Model Kit
UGears STEMLab kits are stylized educational models, They provide an interactive physical study guide to the mechanism, for discovering and learning its essentials and principles of working.
The Variator, also known as a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), is a device that transfers and adjusts engine torque by changing the ratio of gears. Gear ratio can change automatically, manually or within a pre-set program. With the Ugears Variator model you can explore and learn about one of the most important parts of a car getting your hands greasy!
Who invented the Variator and when
The roots of the modern car CVT go back to 1879 when an American entrepreneur and a pioneer of the automobile industry Milton Othello Reeves invented a device for use in sawmilling that he then called a variable-speed transmission. Later he began fitting this transmission to his cars. The Reeves CVT was also used by several other manufacturers.
The CVT is used in mechanisms in which a continuous range of gear ratios must be changed seamlessly: cars, motor scooters, snowmobiles, quadracycles, conveyors, metal-cutting machines, etc. To have a better idea about how it is used in different types of equipment, try the AR application that comes with the Ugears STEM model.
The Variator’s design and how it works
The Mechanical Variator of the Ugears STEM lab collection is a fully functional wooden replica of a Belt-driven Friction Cone CVT. The Cone CVT varies the drive ratio by moving a wheel or belt up and down the axis of conical roller. In the Ugears Variator model, the belt, powered manually via the reducer, transfers the rotation to the driven cone pulleys. Use the transmission fork to change gears and observe how the speed of the driven cone pulley drops or rises while the drive cone pulley’s speed remains the same. Due to the open design of the model, you will be able to see the whole process.
The mechanism of the Variator is composed of:
- drive cone pulley
- driven cone pulley
- transmission fork
STEM lab Model kits come with all you need in a box.
Just like the rest of Ugear’s collections, putting STEM lab models together is fun and comprehensive: everything you need to build, learn, and discover comes in a box. There you will find:
- Wooden details pre-cut with a precise high-tech laser in high-quality plywood boards, as well as other materials required for assembly. The models need no glue or additional instruments to build. The details come out of the board with a slight push.
- Step-by step illustrated assembly instruction manual.
- Practical lab tasks with use of your model.
- QR-code to download a pocket study guide about your model, its mechanism, principle of its working, main characteristics, physical and mechanical formulas, and fun practical tasks.
- QR-code to download AR-application. Fascinating innovation from Ugears – new drive to learn more new things!
Model Size: 6.6 x 5.0 x 4.2 in
Number of parts: 104
Assembly Time: 2 hours
Recommended Age: 8+